Saturday, July 11, 2009

One Step Back
















We got some news about Drew last night. He has developed hydrocephalus or fluid on his brain. It is fairly common in babies with Grade III or IV intraventricular hemorrhage. They noticed that his head circumference had increased in size so they performed an ultrasound of his brain and discovered that his bleed has improved (good news) to a grade II on the left and a grade III on the right. This is when they discovered that he had hydrocephalus (bad news). So in the next few days they will have to tap his brain. A thin needle will be inserted into the brain to extract the fluid. He will eventually have a little port put in his head in order to be able to more readily access the site. He may also eventually need to have a shunt placed. This is a step back but we were fully prepared for this as it is very, very common in children with bleeds. They continue to try his feeds and he is doing okay with that. He will likely remain at UC Davis for sometime.


Brody is still doing well. Still on the oscillator vent. But up to 6 ml every three hours on his feeds which is awesome. They may trying taking him off the vent again in a few days. He is still on antibiotics for his infection, other than that he is doing great!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the set back for Drew. I'll keep him in my prayers and thoughts.


    It's also wonderful to hear that Brody is doing so well. I hope the next attempt off of the ventilator is a successful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about Drew. Since he has been at UCD he is easy to see in the bed he is in. He never sleeps and just looks around this cold hospital room. He has this wisdom about him. I can sit with him forever. He will just stares at me and gives me such strenght. He holds my finger so tight. He is so much stronger than I will ever be. I am so proud of you Drew Poo!I will always hold your hand lil buddy.

    ReplyDelete