Thursday, July 9, 2009

Brody and Drew's birth story

So I waited three weeks to do this I will try to remember as best as I can.

Amber had been in the hospital on bedrest for three weeks prior to the boys birth. On Thursday night (June 18) Amber had been having cramps and pain starting around midnight. She was told by her nurse that she was having the cramps because of a bladder infection and that she was not emptying her bladder all the way. She continued to have pain and told her nurse that she had bladder infections in the past and they did not feel like this. They put her on the monitor and no contractions were picked up. This continued all night and into the next morning. When her new nurse came on in the morning she told her the same thing. Carleigh and I were supposed to come and see her that morning but she asked us not to come because she was not feeling well. The pain and cramping continued. She was given a shot and additional meds to try to stop her labor. Finally someone called the doctor and told them they were going to check her. She was completely dilated. By this time I was already on my way to the hospital. She called me and told me they were taking her for a c-section. I arrived at hospital (before doctor I might add) and they were prepping her for a c-section. We knew the boys would be small (24 weeks, 3days). I went into the OR and she was as white as sheet from vomiting. At 3:35 pm Brody Daniel was brought into the world weighing 1 lb 12 oz, his brother, Drew Steven followed at 3:37 pm weighing 1 lb 12.5 oz. They intibated both boys in the delivery room right in front of us. The first hurdle was them making it out of the delivery room alive. They did that and although it has been a roller coaster. Drew had had two surgeries one his intestines because he perforated due to necratizing entercolitis. They removed 2 cm and he has an ostomy. He also had PDA ligation. They will be three weeks old tomorrow. It is going to be a long road but they are fighters and we follow their lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment